Saturday, February 27, 2010

What to do..........

A close friend of mine was diagnosed with stage 3 Uterine Cancer last Friday. I have no idea what she is going through, yet she calls me for comfort. Today as we spoke and she mentioned getting the paperwork together for what to do with her daughter in case something bad happens, I was speechless. I have never been through the pain of having cancer, only of knowing the person. I changed the subject quickly as I saw her eyes fill with tears as she spoke of her living will. I am unable to imange the thoughts in her head and the emotional pain she is suffering late at night and during the quiet times. I hope she realizes how much I care and want to help comfort her. I do not know how to handle this issue and am learning day by day how hard it is to have someone so close to me be the one suffering.

I called in some favors from Nancy and feel like Ann will have the best of care during her surgery. That is what I know I can do.

Tonight is the first time I am crying about it. Tonight it has hit me that my close friend is suffering and I can not stop it or ease it.

1 comment:

andrea said...

It's a difficult situation. I've read that you should let her talk about what's on her mind, but don't offer up comparisons (good or bad) to other people's similar situations; no "My other friend..." or "I know someone and here's what happened to them" or the worse "Don't worry, I'm sure it will all be okay". Let her know you care, offer support, and maybe even offer the occasional distraction (movie, mani-pedi). Love you!